Following the exciting announcement of the Leigh Academies Trust investment in technology, we are delighted to be able to inform you that we are now in a position to be able to distribute a Chromebook to every Year 7 student at the Inspiration Academy through our brand new 1-2-1 scheme. We believe that having the use of a Chromebook in the academy and being able to take the device home will be invaluable in supporting your son/daughter in their studies throughout their education at the Inspiration Academy.
If you would like to voluntarily contribute to this scheme, we would really welcome the gesture. To do this, you can make a payment by using ParentPay; donations can be as little as £5 per module or a one off donation of £30.
These devices are pre-enrolled and labelled with the students’ names. The loan end date is February 2023 when these devices will be recalled and new devices allocated, which will remain with the student until the end of Year 11.
Before the distribution and receipt of the Chromebook there are some points I would ask that you read with your son/daughter and take into consideration:
- Students will be expected to bring the Chromebook to the academy each day fully charged for use in lessons.
- Students will be expected to keep their Chromebook on them at all times. The Academy will take no responsibility for loss on the school premises.
- Students will use their best endeavours to look after the device and not accessorise or otherwise alter the appearance of the Chromebook in any way.
- Students will be able to continue with online work from home in the case of any periods of absence from the academy.
- Students should only use the Chromebooks for class activities as directed by a teacher and for no other purpose. When not in use, students must keep their Chromebooks closed on the desk or in their bag.
- Any and all damage to the Chromebook must be reported to Ms Garcia, Inspiration Academy Administrator at the academy reception on the day of or next academy day.
- The Chromebook is fully insured BUT you may be asked to pay an excess via ParentPay each time the insurance policy is activated e.g. for damage or loss.
- A charger lead will be provided with the Chromebook however this is not covered by the insurance policy so must remain at home. If the charger lead were to become lost or broken it will be necessary for you to purchase a replacement.
- We recommend that if possible, you purchase a Chromebook cover/case to protect the device and also ensure your child has a school bag big enough to carry the Chromebook and all the usual school equipment to and from the academy each day.
- Parent/Carer to read the documentation in the links provided.
- Parent/Carer will be asked to sign the agreement. Click here to view this agreement. You do not need to print this – a paper copy will be given to you to sign when you collect the device. Within this agreement three other documents are referred to as listed below.
- The Computer Misuse Act 1990 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/18
- The Malicious Communications Act 1988 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/27/introduction
You may wish to read these documents before arriving on site to receive the Chromebook and sign the agreement.
- Only the Parent/Carer must collect the device in person from the Inspiration Academy. In order to maintain a ‘Covid secure’ environment we ask that only one adult per family attend to collect the device. Please wear a face covering/mask and maintain social distancing at all times whilst on site.
- Parents/Carers will be able to book a collection time slot using the My Child at School website https://www.mychildatschool.com/MCAS/MCSParentLogin or alternatively through the app which is available to download from the Apple or Google Play Store. These appointments will be available to book from Friday 4th December. Due to Covid-19 restrictions we can only offer you a set date and appointment times due to social distancing measures being put in place.
- Parents/Carers will need to present photo ID when collecting the device and be ready to sign the agreement as mentioned above.
- Parents/Carers will enter the site through the main entrance and collect the Chromebook from the reception area. The reception will be open to collect your Chromebook at your designated time slot.
- Will provide the device to the Parent/Carer for the student’s use in accordance with the agreement.
- Will provide guidance in lessons to ensure that students are fully aware of how best to use the G-Suite to support them in their learning.
- Will support students in the future with any claims and communicate with parents/carers if the need arises.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email Mrs Dempsey, Office Manager Chromebook administrator on firstname.lastname@example.org. Please find below some answers to frequently asked questions you may have.
Mr D Freeman | Head of College
Frequently Asked Questions
If your child leaves the Academy before the end of the agreement the laptop will need to be returned to the academy.
This scheme is only for the year 7 2020 cohort, however it will continue to be rolled out to forthcoming year 7 cohorts over the next five years.
Unfortunately this scheme is only available to Year 7 students. The previous ‘Bring Your Own Device’ scheme is still available for all other year groups.
By informing the academy we can arrange for a stand in device to be given to you whilst your device is repaired. If a repair is not possible then a replacement will be provided. There will be a £25 excess for each insurance claim.
During the term of your agreement the chromebook remains the property of Leigh Academies Trust. On completion of the first agreement, 2023, the chromebook will be returned and replaced for all students to be given new chromebooks for the final two years within the Academy.