I would like to take a moment to welcome you and your family to the start of an incredible journey with our learning community here at The Leigh UTC. We are really excited to welcome you and are confident that your child will thrive here at our academy.
The transition week in Module 6 was a huge success. I am really pleased that we were able to hold this event, as it helped to ease the students’ nerves and for them to familiarise themselves with their new environment before the school year began.
We recognise the value in a strong relationship between schools and families and to this end we will be creating the opportunity for you to meet your child’s Personal Development mentor. We will send more information about this event in the coming weeks.
The next few weeks for your child will focus on settling them into academy life. We will be conducting baseline assessments, acclimatising your child to our expectations, routines, habits and values. During PD time (our morning tutor programme) students will get to know their classmates, support staff, PD mentor (tutor) and academy leaders. They will be learning how to settle into academy life and make the most out of everyday life at The Leigh UTC.
As a school we recognise our success does not come about through mediocre practices but through setting and demanding the highest standards and expectations from every student, staff member, family and every individual invested in the vision and the work we do here at The Leigh UTC.
Our mission has not changed, we will continue to provide an excellent STEM based education that ensures our students, your child, leave our academy prepared to fully engage with the ever growing global market. We ensure every single child that walks through our doors receives the best possible education. This is and remains our utmost commitment to you and your child.
As parents and carers, you remain our biggest investors and similarly we remain the biggest investors in your child’s academic development and success. To this end, I wanted to take this opportunity to remind you of our expectations for our students and also of the opportunities available for you to communicate with us regarding any questions or queries you may have about your child.
Please take a few minutes to remind yourselves and your child of the expectations we have of them over the next academic year. It is important to do this, as it will ensure you fully recognise our position and approach as a school regarding our standards and expectations.
Please click the titles to read the academy policy.
- We expect 100% attendance from every child.
- We recognise that students get ill sometimes. You must inform the academy every day that your child is absent due to illness and ensure a doctor’s note is sought to support your child’s absence.
- Medical appointments should be made outside of school time and where not possible, early in the morning or later in the afternoon, so your child is still able to attend school outside the appointment time.
- Respect is a core value at The Leigh UTC, any student exhibiting behaviour not in line with this value will be sanctioned.
- We work hard to create a safe environment for students to learn and thrive. Any unsafe or undesired behaviour from any student will be dealt with quickly and sternly.
- While at the academy students will follow the instructions or staff, this is not negotiable.
Students are expected to have all their learning equipment (2 blue & 2 black pens, 1 pencil, 1 rubber, 1 ruler, 1 scientific calculator, 1 pencil case), every single day and ensure their Chromebooks are charged and ready for use.
- PD mentors will complete equipment checks daily to ensure your child has what they need to learn successfully, if they don’t have all their equipment, their PD mentor must be informed, as some items can be borrowed from the school if we are informed in advance.
- From September 3rd 2022 our academy will implement a ‘Disruption Free Zone’. This means any form of disruption in a classroom will not be tolerated.
- All footwear that doesn’t meet the school expectations (as directed in the uniform policy) will not be allowed. Students wearing alternate footwear, without a medical note from a doctor will be directed to wear alternate shoes provided by the school.
- Blazers are required every day of the school calendar, unless otherwise directed by the academy. All students must wear their blazers daily.
- Please ensure your child wears an appropriate coat/jacket to keep themselves warm in the cold and wet weather. This will be especially important during lineups and break times.
Please ensure that you have read the parent school agreement. By sending your child to The Leigh UTC, you are agreeing and committing to the standards and expectations as outlined in this document and many other policies.
We really value and encourage dialogue and conversation between the school and families. If there is something you want to communicate or feedback to us, please communicate this through an email or a phone call to the school. We are very open to hearing from you and listening to your feedback.
I look forward to your unwavering support in constructing the best learning environment and opportunities for your child to grow and thrive over the next academic year. We are thankful for your continued support and I look forward to working with you and your child this academic year.
Head of College – Inspiration Academy