Dear Parents/ Carers
30th June 2022 – Meningococcal ACWY (MenACWY) and Tetanus, Diphtheria and Polio (Td/IPV) Vaccinations in school
We will be visiting your child’s school on the above date(s) to deliver the vaccinations.
All students in year 9 and year 10 are eligible to receive the MenACWY and Td/IPV vaccinations.
Please complete the online consent form at https://www.kentcht.nhs.uk/forms/imms-consent-form/ clearly marking whether you consent or decline consent before midnight on 27th June 2022.
To access the consent form you will need to enter one of the following identifiable details for your child:
- NHS number or
- legal surname, date of birth and postcode
Year 10 Parents: Please note if your child wasn’t vaccinated in school last year due to lockdown and subsequent school closure, the consent you previously completed will have expired. Please can you reconsent using the link above. We will be unable to vaccinate your child without a new consent.
A young person can consent to having an immunisation if our team believes they are able to do so. For more information about consent please go to: www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/900.aspx
Please note we will continue to invite your child to be vaccinated unless we hear from you, this may mean that one of our team calls you to obtain verbal consent over the phone. Please ensure that your contact information on the consent form is up-to-date and always ensure you notify your GP of any changes to your address and phone number.
If you need more information, would like paper copies of the information leaflets or would like to speak with a member of the team, please either email us on email@example.com, phone us on 0300 123 5205, text chat us on 07401320923 or follow the link to webchat us https://www.kentcht.nhs.uk/service/immunisation-team/immunisations-live-chat/.
For more information about the vaccinations please go to: Immunisations for young people – your questions answered (publishing.service.gov.uk)
Head of School Aged Immunisation Service
Information regarding the vaccinations given:
- MenACWY vaccination helps to protect your child against four types of meningococcal bacteria (groups A, C, W and Y) that can cause meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain) and sepsis (blood poisoning) and can kill. Cases of meningococcal W disease (“MenW”) in England have increased significantly in recent years.
- Tetanus is a painful disease affecting the nervous system which can lead to muscle spasms, cause breathing problems and can kill. It is caused when germs in soil and manure get into the body through open cuts and wounds, it cannot be passed from person to person.
- Diphtheria is a serious disease that usually begins with a sore throat and can quickly lead to breathing problems. It can damage the heart and nervous system, it can kill.
- Polio is a virus that attacks the nervous system which can cause permanent paralysis of the muscles. If it affects the chest muscles or the brain, it can kill.