‘Success in Digital T-Level’
Committed to developing STEM professionals, the Leigh UTC has once again demonstrated high levels of success in preparing students for their future careers, providing them with the key skills, academic success and aspirational destinations.
Having doubled the cohort size undertaking the digital T-Level, there has been a 60% increase in students obtaining higher grades. This has enabled all digital T-Level students to move onto their first choice university in digital courses. We continue to grow the enrolment of students onto T-Level courses in both digital and engineering.
Students have continued to excel academically, with our highest ever number of A level entries. We have experienced a year-on-year APS increase in A level maths and physics, with 80% of A level maths results now at a grade C or above. Students studying Applied General and Tech Level maintained at least a Distinction average throughout, with an increase in Applied General to Distinction+. Further notable successes include:
- 100% BTEC grades Distinction and above
- A 15% increase in A/A* grades in mathematical studies
- 100% of IB DT students achieved at least a Higher grade 4
- 50% of students achieved Double Distinction in Level 3 BTEC engineering and business studies.
100% of our students have secured a destination in their area of study which would not have been possible without the ongoing support of our business partners. Destinations include:
- Prestigious universities such as Exeter, Kent, Surrey and Greenwich
- CNC Apprenticeship (Level 4) at Hill Engineering
- Munitions and Explosives Apprenticeship (Level 4) at QinetiQ
- Junior CAD Designer at Imperial Ductwork
The Leigh UTC Principal Kevin Watson said: “I am so proud of all of the students. Not only have they achieved excellent results but they have secured phenomenal ongoing destinations. Our students continue to work closely with our business partners who provide fabulous opportunities which further supports our STEM students in securing jobs for the future global markets. We believe that our Talent Acquisition Pipeline supports us in delivering our vision, with the success demonstrated through student destinations and results. Of course, none of this would be possible without our dedicated staff body.”
The Chair of Governors, Clive Baker said: “Congratulations to all our Year 13 students, who are today receiving their results after much hard work over the last two years. These excellent results are set against a return to normal grading for this year and are therefore an even greater reflection of their efforts. These results are once again confirmation of our acclaimed outstanding sixth form which is an outcome of our successful close working relationship with industrial partners, university sponsors and the dedication of all our exceptional staff.”
Individual Student Performances
Some of our students individual performances:
- Blake (A level maths grade A, extended project grade A*, engineering grades D*D*, A level Physics grade B). Destination – University of Exeter studying mechanical engineering.
“A massive appreciation for the support and guidance throughout the school, really proud of everyone and their results. My time at Leigh UTC has pushed me beyond my boundaries and I am able to pursue my course as I wished.” – Blake
- Farrah (engineering grade D*D, IB DT grade H5 ). Destination – teaching abroad.
“I’ve really enjoyed my time at the UTC. The engineering team at the UTC has helped me develop my skills not only in engineering but helped me develop as a person. I am extremely grateful for my time at the UTC and am thankful for all the teachers throughout the school.” – Farrah
- Ivan (extended project grade A, core maths grade B, engineering grade D*D*). Destination – Birmingham City University studying mechanical engineering.
“I’ve enjoyed my time at Leigh UTC. This course has helped me to ensure that I am able to follow the career I wish to pursue. Thank you to all the teachers that helped me get to the point that I am now. I will continue to stay in contact.” – Ivan
“I’m so glad that my son came here to study in such a supportive community; he has achieved so much in his time here. The teachers genuinely care about the wellbeing of their pupils, and ensuring their success. Thank you for everything!” – Ivan’s parent
- Frankie (digital T-Level grade Merit, EPQ grade B, core maths grade B ) Destination – University of Greenwich to study game design and development.
Images and Leigh Academies Trust video to follow later today, check back later for any updates!